Holiday shopping safety tips from BAPD
The Broken Arrow Police Department would like to remind holiday shoppers of the following safety tips for Black Friday and throughout the holiday shopping season:
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member. You are more likely to be a target if you are alone.
- Always park in lighted areas and avoid parking in remote locations when possible.
- Keep vehicle doors locked at all times, even while driving or if only out of the vehicle for a short time.
- Stay alert to your surroundings, especially while walking to and from your car. Talking or texting on your phone or digging in your purse for your keys while walking is a distraction and makes you an easy target.
- Do not carry a wallet or purse if possible. Purses/wallets are prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas. Also, never leave your purse in a shopping cart while you shop.
- Never leave any valuables in plain sight. Always place packages in the trunk if possible. If in an SUV, use a blanket to cover up your packages.
- Make an extra effort to make sure to lock doors and windows when you leave the house, even if only for a few minutes.
- Be careful what you post on social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). Don’t alert others that you aren’t at home.
- Leave a radio or television and lights on so the house looks and sounds occupied. Also, turn on your porch lights after dark.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Do not leave empty boxes from Christmas gifts in your front yard to be picked up. This just advertises what you have purchased.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.